FaCE (Faculty Career Enhancement) Program
With support from a generous $2 million grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, ACM is continuing the Faculty Career Enhancement Program (FaCE), one of the consortium's most successful grant-funded faculty development initiatives.
Enhancing Faculty Capacity for Innovation
FaCE aims to foster a culture of innovation among ACM faculty to help develop ways to strengthen the professoriate and their central educational role in pursuing the mission of small, residential liberal arts colleges.
During the six-year span of the grant from 2014-2020, FaCE will underwrite collaborative, innovative and sustainable projects with a compelling potential to help college leaders address the challenges and opportunities that liberal arts colleges and their faculty face. These include, for example, slow economic growth, demographic shifts among student populations, new findings in cognitive science, and new teaching and learning technologies.
There will be two funding cycles each year, one in the fall and another in the spring. FaCE broadly aims to fund joint research projects, teaching and learning collaborations, collaboratively organized events, and other cooperative initiatives that:
- Engage faculty either from multiple institutions or from different departments within a single institution;
- Identify and implement innovations that have the potential to address current challenges or opportunities faced by liberal arts colleges; and
- Show plans to become sustainable on the campus(es) involved as well as to become replicable on other campuses through effective dissemination strategies.
Opportunities for ACM Faculty
Apply to participate!
Digital Storytelling Workshop
Travel costs covered by FaCE grant.
Deadline: August 21
FaCE Grants for Faculty Projects
Call for Pre-Proposals for the fall funding cycle of FaCE will be issued in September.
FaCE Grants for Faculty
Request for Pre-Proposals: Fall 2015 funding cycle
The next funding cycle for FaCE will be in fall 2015; a Request for Pre-Proposals will be distributed in September. Faculty at ACM colleges are encouraged to submit proposals for FaCE funding.
Use the following links for detailed information about applying for FaCE funds:
Nine Faculty Projects Received FaCE Grants in 2014-15
Faculty from 12 ACM colleges are among the partners in nine collaborative projects that received FaCE grants in the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 funding cycles! See the list of funded grants with information about the projects.
Each academic year, FaCE will give special emphasis and preference to a particular theme related to the challenges and opportunities facing liberal arts colleges. In conjunction with this funding emphasis, FaCE will also organize a conference related to the theme.
- Fall 2015 Conference: The conference will be held in Chicago on September 25-27, 2015 on the theme Cognitive Science: What Is It and What Can It Offer Liberal Education? Information about the conference will be posted on this webpage during summer 2015.
For more information about FaCE, contact:
- ACM Vice President and Director, Faculty Development and Grant Programs, Brian Williams (312-561-5922), or
- ACM Project Manager for Faculty Development and Grant Programs Rashida Walker, (312-561-5912).
Read more about the FaCE grant from the Mellon Foundation:
FaCE Program, 2004-2013
From 2004 to 2013, with the generous support of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the first two phases of the Faculty Career Enhancement (FaCE) Program provided funds for over 150 faculty-initiated projects with more than 1,700 participants. Read about the FaCE Program, 2004-2013.