News & features
Feb 18, 2015
At the Gateway to Chinatown.
It was barely 24 hours after they had arrived in the city, and the Chicago Program students were huddled in small groups figuring out how to tackle the scavenger hunt, a staple of the program's orientation week.
Each group was getting set to head off to its assigned neighborhood — Hyde Park, Chinatown, Wicker Park, or Uptown — with just a few basic instructions to follow: travel by public transportation, taking both buses and trains; find the four "notable sites" listed for their neighborhood; ask a local resident to describe their community; and be back at the program office in three hours or less. Read more
Site Visit Will Give Faculty an Inside View of Chicago Program's Connections and Resources Dec 12, 2014
- Chicago & Innovation is theme of the April 8-10 visit designed to show how the program’s pedagogy combines theory and practice.
Welcome to Hyde Park! Now Start Walking ... Mar 25, 2014
- On the Chicago Program, a neighborhood tour tells the story of what students have discovered about their neighborhood.
So Many Ways to Unleash the Entrepreneur Within Oct 15, 2013
- Chicago Program adjunct faculty Dima Elissa and Parissa Behnia draw on extensive business experience to mentor students in their independent study projects and to spark the entrepreneurial mindset.
Strong Voice, Warm Heart, "My Chicago Mom" Jun 28, 2013
- Students, colleagues, friends, and family honored Mary Scott-Boria, a long-time faculty member at Urban Studies and the Chicago Program, at her retirement party.
Hearing People's Stories and Getting Involved in Chicago May 21, 2013
- Chicago Program alumni Taylor Shelton, Sam Sekulich, and Shea Love found opportunities on the program to pursue their passions for poetry, art, education, and social justice.
Feature archive »
- Site Visit Presents a Sampler of Classes and Activities on the Chicago Program Apr 7, 2015
- Five faculty and staff from campuses will engage with program’s experiential approach to learning on April 8-10.
- Students Produce Video to Promote the Chicago Program Nov 26, 2013
- Video grew out of the program's workshop for independent study projects focused on entrepreneurship.
- Exhibit by Chicago Program Arts Faculty Jason Pallas Is Encyclopedic in Scope Nov 15, 2013
- Solo art show at Dittmar Gallery explores how technology has changed our relationship to knowledge.
- ACM Has Moved! Jun 25, 2013
- The consortial office, Chicago Program, and Urban Education Program are together in new space at 11 E. Adams Street in Chicago.
- Research Ethics Are Focus of New Review Process for Students’ Independent Projects Jan 16, 2013
- Faculty collaboration and Symposium on Protecting Human Subjects created a process for ethical oversight of student research on ACM off-campus programs.
- Chicago Program's Mary Scott-Boria to Speak on Movement to End Violence Against Women Nov 15, 2012
- Panel will discuss Arrested Justice, the latest book by scholar activist Beth Ritchie at event on December 1 in Chicago.
More news »
Election season in Chicago! Students meet mayoral challenger Jesus "Chuy" Garcia.
View full photo »
More photos »