News & features
May 15, 2015
The vote on May 6 in the Chicago City Council was historic and unanimous.
Chicago Program faculty member Dorothy Burge testifying in City Council for the Chicago Reparations Ordinance.
The Council passed an ordinance making a formal apology and setting up a $5.5 million reparations fund for more than 100 African American survivors of torture and abuse by Chicago police.
In Mayor Rahm Emanuel's words, the vote was aimed at "removing a stain" on the city's reputation caused by the reign of terror unleashed by Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge and officers under his command from 1972 to 1991.
Among the many people packed into the City Council chambers that day was ACM Chicago Program faculty member Dorothy Burge — no relation to Jon Burge — who has spent more than two decades on the front lines of the activism against police torture and brutality that finally led to the unprecedented ordinance. Read more
Building the Experiential Learning Cycle Feb 18, 2015
- Action, reflection, and what’s next. The Chicago Program’s orientation week plunges students into the city and experiential education.
Site Visit Will Give Faculty an Inside View of Chicago Program's Connections and Resources Dec 12, 2014
- Chicago & Innovation is theme of the April 8-10 visit designed to show how the program’s pedagogy combines theory and practice.
Welcome to Hyde Park! Now Start Walking ... Mar 25, 2014
- On the Chicago Program, a neighborhood tour tells the story of what students have discovered about their neighborhood.
So Many Ways to Unleash the Entrepreneur Within Oct 15, 2013
- Chicago Program adjunct faculty Dima Elissa and Parissa Behnia draw on extensive business experience to mentor students in their independent study projects and to spark the entrepreneurial mindset.
Strong Voice, Warm Heart, "My Chicago Mom" Jun 28, 2013
- Students, colleagues, friends, and family honored Mary Scott-Boria, a long-time faculty member at Urban Studies and the Chicago Program, at her retirement party.
Feature archive »
- Application Deadline Extended for Fall 2016 ACM Off-Campus Study Programs Apr 5, 2016
- May 1 is the extended deadline. Interested students should apply ASAP.
- Site Visit Presents a Sampler of Classes and Activities on the Chicago Program Apr 7, 2015
- Five faculty and staff from campuses will engage with program’s experiential approach to learning on April 8-10.
- Students Produce Video to Promote the Chicago Program Nov 26, 2013
- Video grew out of the program's workshop for independent study projects focused on entrepreneurship.
- Exhibit by Chicago Program Arts Faculty Jason Pallas Is Encyclopedic in Scope Nov 15, 2013
- Solo art show at Dittmar Gallery explores how technology has changed our relationship to knowledge.
- ACM Has Moved! Jun 25, 2013
- The consortial office, Chicago Program, and Urban Education Program are together in new space at 11 E. Adams Street in Chicago.
- Research Ethics Are Focus of New Review Process for Students’ Independent Projects Jan 16, 2013
- Faculty collaboration and Symposium on Protecting Human Subjects created a process for ethical oversight of student research on ACM off-campus programs.
More news »
You've got questions, we've got answers!
View full photo »
More photos »