News & features
Apr 11, 2012
"An off-campus study program is never as simple as it seems on the program brochures," noted Tongji "Phil" Qian, who has studied off-campus in Europe three times as a student at Carleton College. Diving into new cultures and academic areas, he has found, can yield surprises, challenges, and "enlightenment."
"Never as simple as it seems" was certainly the case for Ariel Harris. She went to the Bahamas with no expectation beyond completing her off-campus class, but what she discovered in those few weeks touched her deeply.
"The experience I gained and the project I created from this course truly opened the eyes of my soul and awakened the intellectual within me," wrote Harris, a junior at Cornell College.
On April 13-14, Qian and Harris will join other students from ACM colleges to tell their stories – as vivid and varied as the places they traveled and the people they met – at the 4th Annual ACM Student Symposium on Off-Campus Study in Chicago. Read more
Tempting, Astounding, Challenging – Read All About It in the ACM Student Blogs Sep 24, 2010
- With words and photos, and in their distinctive voices, Global Ambassadors offer unfiltered views of their off-campus study experiences around the world.
Fascinating Mexico City Offers Great Opportunities for Students Mar 23, 2010
- NGOs, Spanish class, home stay, and the city's historic beauty – along with lots of wonderful food – impress staff visiting the site of a new ACM summer program.
Portraying the Journey of Life Dec 16, 2009
- Encounters with people, cultures, history, and the physical environment are among the experiences chronicled in the prize-winning photos from the 2009-10 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest.
Leaving Footprints Behind ... Learning Lessons Along the Way Apr 24, 2009
- Students shared compelling stories about adventure and discovery, academic and personal growth, and insights gained at the ACM Off-Campus Study Student Symposium.
New Summer Programs Feature Service Learning and Cultural Immersion Feb 9, 2009
- Active participation describes ACM’s two new summer programs in Mexico and India, which feature language study, homestays, and service learning projects with community-based organizations.
Feature archive »
- Prices Announced for ACM Off-Campus Study Programs in 2012-13 Feb 16, 2012
- Detailed cost information for each program is posted online.
- Application Deadline Extended for Some ACM Off-Campus Study Programs Mar 17, 2011
- ACM has extended the application deadline for some Summer 2011 and Fall 2011 off-campus study programs. Interested students should apply ASAP.
- ACM Symposium Will Highlight Students' Research, Internships, and Experiences on Off-Campus Study Mar 19, 2010
- Students' presentations and panel discussions on April 16-17 will be streamed live on the ACM website.
- Application Deadline Extended for some ACM Programs Mar 17, 2010
- ACM has extended the application deadline for several upcoming ACM off-campus study programs. Interested students should contact the ACM office immediately.
- 2010-11 Off-Campus Study Program Prices Announced Feb 5, 2010
- The updated pricing for ACM's 2010-11 off-campus study programs has been approved and is now posted online.
- Gilman Scholarships Awarded to ACM Students for Study Abroad Feb 4, 2010
- Competitive grant program supports 18 students from nine ACM colleges for study in Botswana, China, Spain, Egypt, and ten other countries.
More news »
Seasons Greetings from all of us at the Associated Colleges of the Midwest! Click for our 2012 holiday greeting.
View full photo »
More photos »