News & features
Mar 21, 2013
Marika Straw in the Maharashtra Times.
"It's an enormously huge sound," Marika Straw recalled. "When you're in the middle of it, you just feel like you're in the middle of something bigger than yourself. That feeling is really amazing."
A Lawrence University senior, Straw participated in ACM's India: Culture, Traditions, & Globalization program this past fall. While there, she had a rare opportunity – certainly for a foreign student – to join a pathak, one of the drumming groups that made daily processions through the crowded streets of Pune during the ten-day Ganapati Festival in late September.
It proved to be a challenging and powerful experience, through which Straw made friends and gained insights into Indian culture, as well as herself. She also became a local celebrity, when she and her drum were prominently featured in the Maharashtra Times, one of India's largest-selling newspapers. Read more
Off-Campus Study "Veterans" Take on New Roles in Two ACM Programs Aug 9, 2012
- From coping with culture shock to lessons on bartering techniques, Student Alumni Fellows Sarah Fischer and Laura Heggs will help students adjust to their new surroundings in India and Tanzania.
Tempting, Astounding, Challenging – Read All About It in the ACM Student Blogs Sep 24, 2010
- With words and photos, and in their distinctive voices, Global Ambassadors offer unfiltered views of their off-campus study experiences around the world.
Engaging in a Dialogue that Can Both Surprise and Inspire Apr 11, 2010
- Students will gather in Chicago on April 16-17 to reflect on their off-campus study experiences at the 2010 Student Symposium on Off-Campus Study.
Service Project with Maitri in India Is an "Amazing Experience" Mar 8, 2010
- ACM’s partner for service learning in the India Summer Program provides opportunities for students to get involved in health and education projects.
Portraying the Journey of Life Dec 16, 2009
- Encounters with people, cultures, history, and the physical environment are among the experiences chronicled in the prize-winning photos from the 2009-10 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest.
Feature archive »
- Research Ethics Are Focus of New Review Process for Students’ Independent Projects Jan 16, 2013
- Faculty collaboration and Symposium on Protecting Human Subjects created a process for ethical oversight of student research on ACM off-campus programs.
- Visiting Faculty Positions Are Available in 2014-15 on ACM Programs in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the U.S. Nov 19, 2012
- With the programs' wide-ranging curricula, there are opportunities for faculty from across the disciplines.
- Beloit, Luther, and Ripon Faculty Appointed to Visiting Positions on ACM Off-Campus Programs Jul 5, 2012
- Professors will bring wide-ranging expertise to 2013-14 programs in Botswana, India, and Tanzania.
- Prices Announced for ACM Off-Campus Study Programs in 2012-13 Feb 16, 2012
- Detailed cost information for each program is posted online.
- Faculty from Beloit, Luther, and Monmouth Named to Visiting Positions on ACM Off-Campus Programs Jul 12, 2011
- Professors Darlington, Muggli, and Haq tapped for Botswana, London, and India in 2012-13.
- Newberry Seminar Participant Virginia Henry Receives 2011 Award for Outstanding Research Apr 25, 2011
- Two other finalists also honored for independent research projects they conducted on ACM off-campus study programs in Costa Rica and Tanzania.
More news »
A woman in a Indian fruit market. Photo courtesy of Caleb Stellmach.
View full photo »
More photos »