Skip to main content

Passport & Visa

Apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program

You need a passport to travel to Botswana, and it should be valid for at least six months beyond the end of the program. If you do not currently have a passport and are an American citizen, review the information on the US Department of State website and apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program. If you are a citizen of another country and need to renew your passport, contact the nearest consulate or embassy. In addition, make sure you have sufficient blank pages in your passport for arrival and trips outside of Botswana (e.g., to South Africa). The ACM office can provide information about this.

If you hold a US passport, you do not need to obtain a student or other visa before you travel to Botswana. Instead, the ACM will provide a letter from the University of Botswana confirming your participation in the program and enrollment at that university; keep this letter with your passport when you travel.

If you are an international student studying in the United States, contact the ACM office for information about a visa and any required documents to study in Botswana. Depending on what passport you hold, you might need to apply for a visa for both Botswana and South Africa.