Skip to main content

Passport & Visa

Apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program


You will need to have a passport to travel to Brazil, and it should be valid for at least six months beyond the end of the program. If you do not now have a passport and are an American citizen, review the information on the US Department of State website and apply for a passport several months before you will leave to go on the program. If you are a citizen of another country and need to renew your passport, contact the nearest consulate or embassy.

If you hold a US passport, you will need a visa (student visa: VITEM IV) for your semester of study in Brazil and should apply for one two months in advance of your departure for Brazil. ACM will send you separately information about the visa process, and we recommend that you work through a visa service with jurisdiction for your place of permanent residence. Visa regulations vary from one consulate to another, and many require that you appear in person to drop off and pick up your passport. For this reason, we recommend a visa service, which may request additional documentation.

If you are an international student studying in the United States, contact the ACM office for information about a visa and any required documents to study in Brazil.