Skip to main content

Passport & Visa

Apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program

You need a passport to travel to the Netherlands, and it should be valid for at least six months beyond the end of the program. If you do not currently have a passport and are an American citizen, review the information on the US Department of State website and apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program. If you are a citizen of another country and need to renew your passport, contact the nearest consulate or embassy.

If you plan to travel internationally during the months leading up to the program, you need to let the ACM Chicago staff know immediately upon acceptance. Visas are required for many programs and the ACM staff is happy to work with you to obtain a visa.

If you hold a US passport, you do not need to visa to enter the Netherlands, but you will need a residence permit to stay for the entire semester. Following your acceptance to the program, the ACM office and VU Amsterdam Study Abroad office will assist all students with the application procedure and will submit the forms on behalf of the students.