Skip to main content

Passport & Visa

Apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program

You need a passport to travel to Italy, and it should be valid for at least six months beyond the end of the program. If you do not currently have a passport and are an American citizen, review the information on the US Department of State website and apply for a passport several months before leaving for the program. If you are a citizen of another country and need to renew your passport, contact the nearest consulate or embassy.

You need a student visa to study in Italy. The ACM facilitates the visa process by taking students’ passports and visa applications to the Italian consulate in Chicago 90 days before travel to Italy. The ACM office in Chicago will provide complete information about obtaining a visa when you are accepted to the program. Applying for the visa requires submitting your passport with the visa application, so do not plan any travel in requiring a passport during May, June or July prior to the beginning of the program.

If you are an international student studying in the United States, contact the ACM office for information about a visa and any required documents to study in Italy.